HOME LEARNING - SUMMER TERM WEEK 1 - WRITING TASK
LOCKDOWN LETTER TO YEAR 3
This is a chance to send a letter to the rest of Year 3 about your experience with lockdown so far. We will put the final letters onto the website so that all the children in Year 3 can read and share their experiences of being locked down at home and away from school. Think about:
- How have you felt?
- What activities have you been up to?
- What have you missed?
- What have you enjoyed?
- What have you tried for the first time?
- What are you looking forward to?
We suggest writing this over THREE sessions.
SESSION 1 - Notes / Planning
Use the writing frame / note sheet to draft out your key points. This is your thinking time where you consider what you want to include in your letter and in what order you want to write things.
SESSION 2 - Draft Letter
Time to get writing. This is your first draft - a practice. You can make mistakes.
You will need:
- A date and greeting (Dear _____ ,)
- Introduction (please do NOT use your full name - first name only for website. Thanks)
- Short paragraphs for each different section of information
- Closing paragraph about the future and seeing everyone soon
- Sign off (again, please ONLY use first name)
SESSION 3 - Re-draft / Final 'published' Letter to Send
This is your edited / de-bugged / re-drafted letter. Anyone at home can give you advice and help you make changes. Keep reading your letter out loud to listen for what sounds great ... and what still needs a bit of work. Check back to your plan to make sure it includes everything you wanted to add.
Now send it to your teacher for some feedback and (with your permission) publishing on the Year 3 website to share with all the other letters.
Below are some resources to help you with your letter:
- Planning Sheet (though you can make your own if you prefer)
- Word Mat (for key vocabulary)
- Example Letter
Don't forget, if you want any extra help or support with this, send your teacher an email.