Writing - Diary Writing - A Day in the Life of YOU!
Writing your own diary entry ... A Day in the Life of You!
I WAS A RAT - WEEK 4
Diary Writing - Part 2
Write a Diary Entry ... A Day in the Life of YOU!
Yesterday, you looked at the main features of a diary and highlighted them in an example.
Hopefully, you spotted that a personal diary needs:
- Have a DATE AT TOP (you need to know when this entry happened)
- To be in the PAST TENSE (it is about things that have already happened)
- To be written in the FIRST PERSON (I, my, we, our) as it is about events that happened to YOU
- To have events in CHRONOLOGICAL (time) ORDER - the order in which they took place using linking words, such as, first, then, after that, next etc...
- To be in a CHATTY PERSONAL STYLE, after all it is all about what YOU did and how YOU felt
TASK OUTLINE FOR YOUR OWN DIARY ENTRY:
So with this list in mind, write a diary entry that happened to you recently. It could be a about a day you had during the lockdown and with home learning, or if you prefer, it could be about an exciting day you had over the Christmas break.
Remember, just include the most important details and make sure everything is in the order it happened.
Try to start a new block of writing (paragraph) for each new location (place) or event ... otherwise it will all blur into one 'super block' of writing!
HAVE A LOOK AT MISS MANLEY'S DIARY EXAMPLE FROM YESTERDAY TO GIVE YOU SOME IDEAS ON THE DIARY STYLE AND LAYOUT
IDEAS FOR OPENING SENTENCES
- Today started exactly the same as every day in lockdown, with my mum shouting, "Are you up yet?"
- Wow! What an amazing day I had today! It all began with...
- Got up. Got dressed. Got washed. Breakfast was yummy! It was my favourite ...
- YES! Christmas Day! I jumped out of bed at 5am and went straight to the tree. Wow! Santa had left loads of things...