Science - Home Experiments - Week 1
HOME LEARNING - SUMMER TERM WEEK 9 - SCIENCE
LET'S HAVE FUN WITH HOME EXPERIMENTS!
Over the next 2 weeks, we thought it would be fun to get creative and apply some skills to science experimentation at home.
Some of you did a bit of this for one of our spring homework tasks, but a lot of you never had the chance to show off your skills because of lockdown and school closing.
TASK - TRY 2 EXPERIMENTS OVER 2 WEEKS
CLICK ON THE WEBSITE + YOUTUBE LINKS BELOW to discover all the different experiments you could try out at home! The videos on YouTube are BRILLIANT and great to watch for inspiration!
There are hundreds to choose from and most do not need stacks of equipment!
We would like you to choose at least TWO experiments (one for this week, one for next) to try at home. Gather all the things you need, follow the instructions carefully and see what happens.
Please send us in information what you did. Ideally, this should be as a photo (or short video clip) with a short piece of writing to explain what you did and what happened.
A few teaser ideas of easy (and fun) experiments at home could be:
- Magic Milk - food colouring, milk and some washing liquid ... magic happens!
- Floating paperclips - thin cotton, magnets and paperclips ... they float, but how?
- Instant ice - nearly frozen water poured over a bowl of frozen water ... amazing things happen!
- Self inflating balloon - bottle, baking soda, balloon and vinegar ... instantly filled with smelly gas!
- Lava lamp - oil, water, food colouring and antacid tablet - bubbles and no mixing please!
- Sundial - a stick, paper, pen and a sunny day ... the shadow moves, but why?
- Skittles (or Smarties) Patterns - just need shallow water, plate and skittles ... beautiful, but how?
- Balloon Powered Car - balloon, straw, tape, car ... can also do this on string as a rocket!
- Blue Rain - shaving foam, glass of water, blue-dyed water and dropper ... instant water rain storm
- Coloured Cabbage - cabbage, food dye, water and containers ... red, yellow and blue leaves!